Saturday, November 14, 2015

Leonie and me!

Leonie jumped onto my bed that morning and started purring and rubbing herself against me. By the soft touch of her grey fur and the sweet sound of her voice, I knew that it was a Saturday. Every other day, I would wake up to the sound of my mom screaming at the top of her voice, but Saturdays were when she would let me sleep until 9 o'clock in the morning. Leonie didn't like that. Not one bit. She wanted me to get up, feed her and pet her. She wanted attention, and she wasn't getting any of that while I was still in bed.

All I wanted was to push her off the bed and go back to sleep. But I knew she would just climb right back up and keep pestering me, like an alarm clock. She can be very persuasive at times. I learnt that the day I first met her.

It was her cry, soft, tired and desperate, that drew me to that little lost kitten on the road, two years ago. Those big green eyes met mine, and I couldn't bring myself to just walk by. I picked her up and brought her home, giving her a ride on my shoulder. I then bathed her, fed her and gave her a name; and just like that, she became a part of the family.

Over the years, there has formed a special bond between me and Leonie. It is something I can't really explain. People can claim to love you and then stab you in the back the very next day. But cats - pets - they will never betray you. It is a mutually understanding and beneficial relationship between me and Leonie. If I give her what she needs - food, shelter and care - she will, in return, be always there for me. Always a silent listener to my tales of joys and sorrows. That's all I ask of her.

As I drag myself out of bed that morning, I ask myself what it is that I love so much about my Saturday morning alarm clock; my persistent little queen. One look at her and I realize, its everything. It's the way the contours of her slim body are perfectly matched to the shape of her face. It's that brown line that runs perfectly from her eye to her ear, across the side of her face. It's those big, round, green eyes that always stare up at me in curiosity. It's all that, and much more. I will always love Leonie for who she is; and I accept her with all her tiny flaws. To me, she is the most beautiful cat in the world. She will always be there for me and I can always count on her. She will forever be mine, and mine alone. She is my Leonie.
A couple of days after I found her

Leonie decided to join us on a road trip.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment